1. World Liver Day – April 19
• Efforts are made to inform people about liver infections so that timely treatment from the preventable illness can be sought.
• As per the World Health Organisation (WHO), liver diseases are the 10th most common cause of death in India.
• Liver diseases can be caused by Hepatitis A, B, C, alcohol, and drugs.
2. India ranks 84th in Henley Passport Index 2021
• The index has been topped by Japan.
• The index ranks passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa.
• Also consider as most travel friendly passports.
• It is based on data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
3. A New Super-Earth detected
• A student at the Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias, a research institute in the Canary Islands, has uncovered a new super Earth orbiting the star GJ 740, a red dwarf.
• It only takes 2.4 days to complete one orbit around its star.
• That means where Earth takes 365.25 days to complete a year, this new super Earth does in less than a week — in two days, nine hours and thirty minutes to be precise.
• It’s called a ‘super’ Earth because of its massive size. Super Earths are at least twice the size of our planet and up to 10 times its mass.
4. India and Kyrgystan started eighth edition of Exercise “Khanjar”.
• Organised in Bishkek.
• The first edition of the “Khanjar” exercise was started in 2011.
• It is a joint military exercise.
• India and Kyrgyzstan had signed an agreement to hold joint Military exercises in 2018.
• Som is the currency of Kyrgyzstan.
• Its capital is – Bishkek
5. The Hydrogen Economy – New Delhi Dialogue 2021
• This is the first of its kind conference on Hydrogen Ecosystem.
• To discuss emerging hydrogen ecosystems and explore opportunities for collaboration and coalition.
• New energy transition coalition called the “India H2 Alliance” which will work towards commercialising hydrogen technologies to build net-zero carbon energy Pathways in India.
6. Co – founder of Adobe, “Charles Chuck” Geschke, passed Away.
• He founded the software company Adobe along with John Warnock in 1982.
• Also helped in the development of the Portable Document Format (PDF).
• SHANTANU NARAYANAN is the current CEO of Adobe
7. 1st ever UN food systems summit 2021 to be held in September.
• Venue – in New york, USA
• The summit is a part of the Decade Action to achieve the sustainable development goals by 2030.
• The summit is to strategize actions for positive change in Agri-food systems.
8. NASA schedule ingenuity’s 1st flight
• The first scheduled flight of Nasa’s ingenuity helicopter on Mars on 19th April 2021.
• It will be the first aircraft to attempt controlled flight on another planet, a feat with a high degree of difficulty.
• Weight – 1.8 Kg
• “Ingenuity is the latest in a long and storied tradition of NASA projects achieving a space exploration goal once thought impossible,”
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 6th edition of the Raisina Dialogue. President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame and Prime Minister of Denmark, Mette Frederiksen will also join the Inaugural Session as chief. (The Raisina Dialogue is India’s flagship conference on geopolitics and geoeconomics, held annually since 2016. It is jointly organised by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Observer Research Foundation).
10. In a boost for Government’s Make in India push for the food processing sector, Italy has launched its maiden mega food park in India. The launch was attended by Italy’s Ambassador to India Vincenzo de Luca and Indian Ambassador to India Neena Malhotra.
11. India’s first female cricket commentator Chandra Nayudu passed away. She had penned a book titled “CK Nayudu : A daughter’s Remembers.
12. Harry Potter’s author J.K Rowling Set to release A Children’s Novel “The Christmas Pig”
• The book is illustrated by Jim Field.
• Will be released on October 12, 2021
13. MOFPI & Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana _ NRLM join hands to implement PM – FME Scheme.
• The ministry of food processing industries & Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) of ministry of Rural Development have agreed to work together on implementation of PM- FME Scheme
• PM- FME Scheme – Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro Food Processing Enterprises scheme)
• To promote formalization of the food processing Industry (FPI) sector