1. Danish Red Cross launches First Volcano Cat Bond.
• The Cat Bond covers 10 volcanoes across three continents.
• Support from Howden Group Holding’s Charitable Foundation, Financial Lines and Reinsurance Divisions,and Capital Markets Business.
• They include North America’s second highest volcano,Popcatepetl, Mexico, Columbia’s Nevado Del Ruiz,which killed 23000 and displaced thousands more when it erupted in 1985.
• The other volcanoes covered by the Bond include three in Equador (Cotopaxi,Tunguraha, and Pichincha), Two in Indonesia (Merapi and Raung), One in Chile (Villa Rica), One in Guatemala (Fuego), and one in Cameroon (Mt.Cameroon).
2. World Water Day is celebrated on 22nd March. The theme for 2021 World Water Day is – Value Water.
• It is to show the importance of Freshwater and Raise Awareness about the crisis of Safe Water in the World.
• The United Nation General Assembly had adopted a resolution on 22nd November 1992, which declared that the World Water Day would be celebrated on 22nd March each year.
3. International Day of Forests celebrated on 21st March with theme – “Forest Restoration, A Path to Recovery and Well – Being”.
• In 1971, the Conference of the Food and Agriculture Organization Members had decided to celebrate “World Forest Day” on 21st March.
• UN declared 2011 as the International Year of Forests.
4. Jai Shakti Abhiyaan launched by PM Modi on World Water Day, with Theme – Catch The Rain, Where It Falls, When It Falls” .
• Ken Betwa Link Project also signed between Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
5. Power Minister R.K.Singh launches GRAM UJALA in Bihar.
• It is the first Carbon Credits Programme in India.
• Government will offer World’s Cheapest Led Bulbs in Rural Area at Rs.10, Unveiled by Convergence Energy Services Ltd.
6. National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development Bill 2021, was introduced in Lok Sabha on 22nd March By Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. Its obejective is to support the development of Long-term Non-recourse Infrastructure Financing in India.
7. 3 Day Shehnai festival – Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav started at Banaras Hindu University campus Varanasi in remembrance of Ustad Bismillah Khan. Original name Qamruddin Khan..
• In 2001, Khan was awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour, and the country observed a national day of mourning following his death in 2006.
8. Dr. Harshvardhan inaugurates New Advanced High Resolution Microscopy Facility at NABI (National Agri- Food Biotechnology Institute).
• Also unveiled 4 star Griha Certification of Center Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB) lab and Admin Building at Mohali in Punjab.
• Both NABI & CIAB are autonomous institutes under Dept.of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
9. ISRO to set up space technology incubation center at NIT – Rourkela.
• Expert advisory committee to execute and monitor the Start-up India Seed Fund Scheme (SISFS), committee will be chaired by H.K. Mittal.
• Google Vice-President Caesar Sengupta is stepping down after a 15-year stint at the company.
10. New Nagar Van scheme to help in recreation of urban forests in India.
• Union Environment Minister, Prakash Javadekar said that the scheme would help in the creation of Urban Forests in 200 cities.
• One forest in every state will be selected under this programme.