RIC MINISTERS MEETING HELD BETWEEN RUSSIA, INDIA & CHINA
- The RIC Foreign Ministers meeting was held virtually on June 23, 2020.
- The meeting was attended by the Union External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar.
- The RIC (Russia-India-China) Meeting was organised to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Second World War.
- On Indo-China border faceoff, Russia stated that India and China don’t need any outside help to resolve the dispute.
RUSSIA SUPPORTS INDIA’S CANDIDACY AS PERMANENT MEMBER OF UNSC
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov informed that the discussions involved probable reforms of the United Nations.
- He emphasised that India is a strong nominee to become a permanent member of UN Security Council and announced support to India’s candidacy.
- Lavrov stated that Russia believes that India can become a full-fledged member of the Security Council.
- The trilateral meeting is being convened at the initiative of Russia.
- Russia has been repeatedly saying that it hopes both nations take steps to de-escalate tensions. Russia shares a deep relation with both China and India.
CHINA TO ESTABLISH ITS SECURITY BUREAU IN HONG KONG
- China is planning to establish the National Security Bureau in Hong Kong to investigate crimes that threatens its national security.
- The Bureau will be established under the new controversial national security law of China which states that all the authorities from finance to immigration will report to the Central Government in Beijing.