SECOND SQUADRON OF TEJAS FIGHTER JETS
- Second squadron of Tejas fighter jets inducted into Indian Air Force at Sulur air base
- The aircraft inducted into the No.18 Squadron ‘Flying Bullets’, the only Param Vir Chakra Squadron of the IAF, was manufactured at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in Bengaluru.
- A squadron in air force, army aviation, or naval aviation is a unit comprising a number of military aircraft and their aircrews, usually of the same type, typically with 12 to 24 aircraft, sometimes divided into three or four flights, depending on aircraft type and air force.
PM-KISAN SCHEME: MORE THAN 9 CRORE 60 LAKH FARMERS BENEFITTED
- Under the scheme which is an initiative by the central government, all farmers will get up to Rs. 6,000 per year as minimum income support.
- The purpose of the scheme has been to supplement the financial needs of Small and Marginal Farmers (SMF) so that they can procure inputs that will ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields.
- PM-KISAN Scheme also aims at protecting the farmers from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting their expenses and to ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
WHO HALTS HCQ TRIAL FOR CORONAVIRUS AMID SAFETY FEARS
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has temporarily put on hold the trials of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) over the safety concerns.
- The move came after a study published by The Lancet indicated that the COVID-19 patients given with the HCQ drug had higher mortality rates than others.
- The Solidarity Trial will compare four treatment options against standard of care, to assess their relative effectiveness against COVID-19
- The Initiative was initially looking into these four drugs: HCQ, remdesivir, Ritonavir/Lopinavir and Lopinavir/Ritonavir/Interferon Beta 1a.
WHO FOUNDATION LAUNCHED
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced the creation of the WHO Foundation, an independent grant-making entity that will support the organization’s efforts to address the most pressing global health challenges
- According to the WHO, headquartered in Geneva, the Foundation will support global public health needs by providing funds to the WHO and trusted implementing partners, but is legally separate from WHO.
MINING IN DEHING PATKAI
- A proposal for coal mining by the North-Eastern Coalfields (NECF), a unit of government-run Coal India Ltd (CIL), inside Assam’s Dehing Patkai elephant reserve was granted approval by the National Board for Wildlife (NBWL)
- Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Dibrugarh and Tinsukia Districts of Assam
- It is part of the Assam valley tropical wet evergreen forest
- It was declared a sanctuary on 13 June 2004.
- This sanctuary is also a part of Dehing-Patkai Elephant Reserve.
- The Dehing Patkai forms the largest stretch of tropical lowland rainforests in India.