International Sun Day
- Sun Day, sometimes referred to as World Sun Day or International Sun Day, is observed annually on May
- It was established in 1978 by US President Jimmy Carter.
- Originally a United States observance, it is now celebrated in many countries around the world
- The purpose of the celebration is to attract the attention of the public to the opportunities presented by sustainable energy sources and their use
World Laughter Day
- World Laughter Day takes place on the first Sunday of May of every year .
- The first celebration was on January 10, 1998, in Mumbai, India, and was arranged by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga movement.
World Press Freedom Day
- Organized annually since 1993, the Global Conference provides an opportunity to journalists, civil society representatives, national authorities, academics and the broader public to discuss emerging challenges to press freedom and journalists’ safety, and to work together on identifying solutions.
- UNESCO is launching a global campaign on media and social media channels, with a focus on “Journalism without Fear or Favour” in an increasingly complex media landscape.
International Firefighters’ Day
- International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed on May 4. It was instituted after a January 4, 1999 due to the deaths of five firefighters in tragic circumstances in a bushfire in Australia.
- One of the most significant symbols of International Firefighters’ Day is the red and blue ribbon
WORLD BANK APPROVES USD 400 MN TO ENHANCE INDIA’S COASTAL RESOURCES
- The USD 400 million loan from the international bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) has a final maturity of 14.5 years including a grace period of five years.
2020 WORLD PRESS FREEDOM INDEX
- The Press Freedom Index is an annual ranking of countries compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders based upon the organization’s own assessment of the countries’ press freedom records in the previous year
- India had dropped two places on the global press freedom index — from 140 to 142, in a list of 180
- Norway is ranked first in the index while China is at 177. North Korea is at 180.
CAIT TO LAUNCH NATIONAL E- COMMERCE MARKETPLACE ‘BHARATMARKET’
- Traders’ body Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has announced to launch a national e-commerce marketplace ‘bharatmarket’ soon for all retail traders in collaboration with several technology partners.
- In a statement, CAIT said the marketplace will integrate capabilities of various technology companies to provide end-to-end services in the logistics and supply chains from manufacturers to end consumers, including deliveries at home.
KASHMIR SAFFRON GETS GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATION TAG
- Geographical Indication (GI) is a sign on products that have a specific geographical origin and the product may have special quality or reputation.
- Geographic indication leads to the overall economic prosperity of the producers
- It got GI because of its unique identity and superior quality as compared to saffron grown around the world.