1. 475 legislative constituencies across four states – Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Assam and West Bengal – and the Union Territory of Puducherry go to polls.
• Voting for 234 seats of Tamil Nadu Assembly, 140 seats of Kerala Assembly, 40 constituencies in Assam, 31 seats of West Bengal Assembly and 30 seats of Puducherry Assembly.
• AIADMK is contesting as a part of NDA along with BJP, PMK and other local parties, whereas DMK is part of the UPA and is contesting alongside Congress and 11 other parties. Kamal Hassan’s Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) and TTV Dhinakaran’s Amma Makala Munnetra Kazagam (AMMK) are contesting Tamil Nadu polls in alliance with some regional parties.
• It will be a heated contest between CPI (M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) and Congress-headed United Democratic Front (UDF) in Kerala. Meanwhile, BJP is trying to gain a foothold in the state and has fielded some high-profile contestants.
2. World health day – April 7
• World Health Organization was established on this day in 1948.
• Theme – ‘Building a Fairer, Healthier World for Everyone’.
• The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
• headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
• Parent organization – United Nations Economic and Social Council.
• Head – Tedros Adhanom
• The year 2020 was declared as the international year of Nurse and midwife by the World Health Assembly.
3. Third High Joint Commission meeting was held between India and Bahrain.
• Venue – New Delhi.
• Minister of External Affairs Dr. S. Jaisankar And Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain – Dr Abdullatif Bin Rashid Al Zayani
4. Isamu Akasaki, one of the winners of the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics passed away at the age of 92 in Japan.
• He won the Nobel Prize for the invention of the World’s First Efficient Blue Led (Light Emitting Diode)
• Worked with Hiroshi Amano, and Shuji Nakamura and successfully produced the Gallium Nitride Crystals in 1989 and created First Blue Led.
5. International Day of Conscience – April 5.
• To promote Peace and Love throughout the Globe in accordance with the Culture and Customs of Local, National and Regional Communities through Education and Awareness – Raising Activities.
• 2021 marks the Celebration of 2nd International Day of Conscience.
• UNGA has adopted the Resolution on 25th July 2019
6. India’s first marketplace for Non – fungible tokens (NFT) for artists.
• Launched by crypto currency exchange “WazirX”
• Indian artists will get a place for the exchange of digital assets and intellectual properties, including art pieces, audio files and even tweets apart from other digital goods and services.
• HQ of WasirX – Mumbai and founded in 2017
7. New Secretaries appointed by Centre.
• Ajay Seth – Department of Economic Affairs
• Gyanesh Kumar – Secretary of, Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs.
• Ali Raza Rizvi – Secretary in Department of Public Enterprises.
• Anil Kumar Jha – Secretary of Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
8. International Day of Sport for Development And Peace – April 6
• It Provides an Opportunity to understand the Importance of Sports and Physical Activity that play a Vital Role in Communities and People’s Life.
• Proclaimed in 2013 by UN
• In India National Sports Day celebrated every year on 29 August on the Birth Anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
• First Ever Olympic Games -1896.
9. Poshan Pakhwada (Nutrition Fortnight) across under Poshan Abhiyaan
• For creating awareness on Nutrition &its importance on Children, Lactating Mother and Adolescent Child.
• Poshan Abhiyaan was launched by PM Narendra Modi on 8th March 2018.
• Key Focus Areas for Poshan Pakhwada 2021 – Addressing Nutritional Challenges Through Food Forestry and Organizing Poshan Pachayats.
10. India’s First Union Environment Minister Digvijay Singh Zala Passed Away.
• Member of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly in 1962.
• He served as the first Environment Minister of India from 1982 to 1984 after the Ministry was established under Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1980.
• MP from Surendra Nagar Constituency (1979 – 1989)
• authored the book titled – “The Eco- Vote: People’s Representatives and Global Environment.